5th grade ELA Power Standards
Reading - Literature
1. RL. 1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says.
2. RL. 2 Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details; summarize.
Reading - Informational Text
3. RI. 1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says.
4. RI. 2 Determine main ideas of text and how they are supported by details; summarize.
Reading - Foundational Skills
5. RF. 4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
6. W. 2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas clearly.
7. W. 3 Write narratives using effective technique, details, and clear sequences.
8. W. 5 Develop writing by planning, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
9. L. 2 Demonstrate capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
10. L 4 Determine meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases.
SPEAKING & LISTENING
11. SL 1 Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions.
1. Students will understand the Pre-Colonial America Era.
2. Students will understand the Colonial America Era.
3. Students will understand the Pre-Revolutionary Era.
4. Students will understand the Revolutionary Era.
Geography & Civil Engagement:
5.Students will understand the basic geography of the United States, with an emphasis on states and capitals.
6. Students will be able to describe the impacts of geographic features on the daily life across regions of the U.S.
7. Students understand the process of how a leader is elected in a democracy.
Reading, Writing, & Research:
8. Write opinion pieces, supporting and point of view with reasons and information. (W 1)
9. Conduct short research projects that use several sources to build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic.